Madhubala is known as “The beauty with Tragedy” as well as “The Venus of Indian Cinema”. This is because she is considered as one of the most beautiful actresses of Indian cinema and her life is full of tragedies. Here are some facts about Madhubala.
- She was born on 14 Feb, 1933 (The Valentine’s Day) in Delhi.
- She made her debut at the age of 9 (in 1942) in movie “Basant” to support her family financially.
- She played lead roles opposite to all the known names of her time including Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor, Ashok Kumar, Shammi Kapoor and Sunil Dutt.
- In 1952, she was featured in American Magazine “Theatre Arts” with full page photograph titled “The Biggest Star in the World – and she’s not in Beverly Hills”.
- Frank Capra, an award winning American Director, offered her a break in Hollywood 😯 . But her father rejected it. Yes, that’s true 🙁
- Unfortunately, out of seventy movies with her name only 15 were box office successes.
- Because of her love story with Dilip Kumar, she often went into controversies. But they didn’t marry because her father disapproved him and there were some other circumstances.
- Her name was written in history for iconic performance as Anarkali in the movie “Mughal-e-Azam”.
- She passed away on 23rd Feb, 1969 at the age of 36. She suffered a lot during her last years because of health issues.